How Mariah Carey made history with ‘Touch My Body’

The year 2008 was major for pop-R&B singer Mariah Carey. She released her long-awaited 11th studio album E=MC².

In an interview with NME, Carey explained how the album is a big step-up from the critically-acclaimed The Emancipation Of Mimi (2005).

“Basically, I’m freer on this album than I’ve ever been. Some of the songs on the last album were cool but maybe not quite as neat as this album,” she said.

E=MC² saw Carey scoring her 18th No. 1 hit on the Billboard Hot 100 chart with the sultry single Touch My Body on April 12, 2008. The song held on to the top spot for two weeks.

Did you know that Carey shares a record with Elvis Presley as solo artistes with most No. 1 singles on the Hot 100? The only other performer with more Hot 100 chartoppers than both of them is British band The Beatles with 20 songs. Only time will tell if Carey, 48, will be able to surpass The Beatles’ record.

Carey’s chart-topping journey began in 1990 with her debut single Vision Of Love followed by hits like Always Be My Baby, Heartbreaker featuring Jay-Z and We Belong Together.

In an interview with Billboard in 2008, Carey admitted that she has thought about making history like The Beatles.

“I do, because people bring it up. But it’s not like I sit around thinking about that type of stuff while I’m creating something.

“I did write this record (E=MC²) in terms of wanting it to be a lot of songs that could potentially be singles, because people like that,” she said.

advertise
advertise
advertise

top navigation

advertise