Sherrie Al-Junied wants to inspire and motivate with her music

Releasing a new single after 30 long years is not veteran singer Sherrie Al-Junied’s  idea of a comeback. Her new single, Sorang Wanita (A Woman), is only meant to inspire and motivate people. Nothing more.

“I’ve never really retired from singing. I left the music scene after I was duped in 1988. So, I decided to pack and leave for Taiwan. That was a good exposure for me as I learnt more about the music industry in a new place,” said Sherrie, who was signed up to Polygram Records in 1987 and recorded two albums.

Her singing career in Taiwan was a brilliant one but she decided to head to Indonesia and Europe for greener pastures.

However, a nasty accident in 2003 became a turning point for Sherrie.

“That accident was a wake-up call,” said Sherrie who had to stop singing for three years in order to regain her health. “I decided to keep fit after I found myself overweight and had breathing difficulty. I hit the gym and that decision really changed my whole life. I tried all kinds of exercises to strengthen my muscles and I felt like a new person.”

After being in the music scene for so long, the 58-year-old singer said her goal now is to inspire the young and old alike. Fame is secondary.

“My mission is to let people know that we can achieve, do things and have abundance of energy at any age. I believe there’s no age limit to this. I’ve created and recreated myself countless times,” said the Singapore-born artiste who can sing fluently in Malay, Chinese, French, Japanese and Arabic.

Her latest album, Sorang Wanita was initially recorded in 2011 but was shelved because of many reasons. “I faced many problems with the arrangements and the people who claimed they were ‘helping’ me. I was so disappointed, I decided to shelve the album,” she said.

But Sherry kept busy with dinner shows. Her relentless passion for music saw her returning to the unreleased album again, but giving it a fresh twist this time. It took Sherrie more than a month and RM60,000 to complete the album with music videos done in Bandung and Singapore.

Not one to rest on her laurels, Sherrie is already planning her next project. She wants to be known as a motivational entertainer and speaker. “All my motivational workshops incorporate entertainment elements. I suffered from depression in 2004 and from then on, I worked on my mental, emotional and physical healing. My music is aimed at motivating and inspiring people. I want to share this positive energy in me with more people,” she said.

advertise
advertise
advertise

top navigation

advertise