Seoul Fashion Week: nine of the coolest looks from South Korea

Last week, in South Korea, Seoul Fashion Week autumn-winter 2018 unfolded. The event – held at the Zaha Hadid-designed Dongdaemun Design Plaza – was more colourful than ever as K-pop stars Key from Shinee, Changmin from TVXQ and other celebrities graced the front rows.

Seoul fashion boutique co-founded by G-Dragon’s sister is place to be for K-pop stars and Korean celebrities

Outside, a mini democracy of fashion took place as street-style enthusiasts presented an assortment of outgoing if not outspoken looks.

This season, punk-influenced looks and ’90s nostalgia remained strong trends, while couples’ fashion, dressed-up toddlers, South Korea’s signature K-pop-inspired street style, and head-to-toe one-colour statement looks were also seen.

The Post scouted the scene and spoke with some locals about their outfits and style philosophies.

1. ’90s gangster meets ’90s goth

“In my neighbourhood, my friends and other people say I look kind of scary with my black lipstick … whereas here at Seoul Fashion Week, people say I look awesome!”

Kim Na-hyun, high school student

2. Ultraviolet

“For today’s look, we were inspired by Pantone’s colour of the year: ultraviolet.”

15 year old high school students Nam Yoon-jeong and Hwang Ji-young

Five Korean fashion accessories brands to watch, for shoes, bags, jewellery and eyewear that will help you stand out

3. The international student

“There’s a fine line between appreciation and appropriation of African-American culture in South Korea. If you can find a respectful way to learn about it and do it in a way that you’re giving credit back to the original country or origin, it can be done tastefully.”

Alexis Jones, an American student studying fashion in South Korea

4. Model Children

“We came here together as friends and chose our own outfits … I wore purple today but love all colours.”

Kim Na-hyeon, and her friend Park Seo-yoon (both 8 years old).

5. The couple that dresses together …

“We’ve been dating for six months now. We always dress alike and plan our outfits together three days in advance.”

Kim Ji-hyeon and her boyfriend Park Jong-hyun

How K-pop stars became the faces of luxury street style in Asia

6. Complementary colours

“I love bright colours and mixing them, so I decided to put this outfit together.”

High school student Park So-yoon

7. Renaissance Man

“I’m wearing a brand called ‘I’m not a human being’ … I love graphics so I chose this look for today.” Lee Seon-bi

8. The Chinese Buyers

“We are wearing Pushbutton, they are hugely successful in China, right now.”

Kirsten Liu, a member of the Duier team.

9. Greener Pastures

“Older Koreans don’t like my style. I’ve had grandpas on the subway tell me that my hair looks like seaweed.”

Yoon Sang-hyuk on his neon green dreadlocks.

Let's block ads! (Why?)

advertise
advertise
advertise

top navigation

advertise