Why did The Voice coach Jennifer Hudson throw a shoe at a contestant?

The Voice judge Jennifer Hudson was so impressed by a contestant’s performance, she threw a shoe at him.

“Where I come from, that’s a compliment,” says Hudson, who was blown away by Chris Weaver’s rendition of Try A Little Tenderness, on the reality singing show. “And we know at times when you sing like that, you better be prepared to what? Duck.”

The Oscar and Grammy winner is the latest addition to the judging panel, which also comprises Miley Cyrus, Blake Shelton and Adam Levine. “I understand the contestants emotionally, and the pressure they’re up against, having to audition in front of the world. I understand the television side, and I try to instil in my contestants (that) they can win,” Hudson shares her coaching strategy to Billboard.

The 36-year-old singer definitely knows what she’s talking about. After all, she was a contestant on the third season of American Idol.

Speaking on Late Night With Seth Meyers, the Spotlight hitmaker recalls the full circle moment she had when she was offered the job: “When the news came out, I literally cried. It’s like, ‘I need a moment.’

“For me to come from a place like that, where once I was a contestant. Who would’ve ever thought that I would be a coach. So for me … I was very emotional about it.”

The Voice Season 13 airs every Tuesday and Wednesday at 2pm (encore at 10pm) on Foxlife (Astro Ch 711).

advertise
advertise
advertise

top navigation

advertise