Backstreet Boys’ Nick Carter accused of rape

Former Backstreet Boy Nick Carter has been accused of rape by Melissa Schuman, a member of the 2000s girl group Dream. Schuman claimed in a blog post that Carter raped her in his Santa Monica apartment during an off day from shooting The Hollow in 2002.

Carter’s reps have not responded to Variety‘s multiple requests for comment.

According to her post, Carter invited Schuman and a friend of hers back to his apartment, where they had drinks. She wrote that she and Carter went into the bathroom and had started kissing when he “picked [her] up, put [her] on the counter, and started unbuttoning [her] pants.”

“I told him I didn’t want to go any farther,” she wrote.  Even after she made it clear she did not want to have sex — she was a virgin at the time — he ignored her.

“He was visually and clearly growing very angry and impatient with me. I couldn’t leave. It was evident to me, that I couldn’t leave. He was stronger and much bigger than me, and there was no way I would be able to open that door or have anyone help me…”

According to Schuman, at that point, Carter took her into a bedroom and “threw [her] on the bed.”
“He was heavy, too heavy to get out from under him. Then I felt it,” she wrote. “It was done.” She said she went to sleep on the bed, and when her friend woke her up the next day, Carter was gone. She and her friend left.

Schuman alleged that Carter began calling her excessively over the next few weeks: “He jammed my phone with calls for weeks, leaving me messages demanding I speak with him.” Eventually, she said, he left one “nasty” message and did not call again.

She said she had considered pressing charges at the time, but that she feared the effect it may have on her career. After seeing a similar report, however, she decided to come forward.

“I feel I have an obligation now to come forward with the hope and intention to inspire and encourage other victims to tell their story. We are stronger in numbers. If you are reading this and you have been assaulted, know you don’t have to be silent and you are not alone. I know it’s scary. I’m scared.”

“I believe you. I stand with you and together I hope we can bring light to things that have been lost in the darkness for so long.” – Reuters

advertise
advertise
advertise

top navigation

advertise