Malaysian artiste NYK says local talents need to break out of their comfort zone

Can’t seem to remember singer Nicholas Yungkit’s full name. Don’t worry, he goes by the moniker NYK, which is much easier to recall.

The 23-year-old R&B singer-songwriter based in Subang Jaya, Selangor currently has one single out called FWB and the song already has over 650,000 plays on Spotify.

If you read his story – from self-proclaimed bathroom singer to Sony Music Malaysia artiste – you’d think that some guys just have all the luck. But for NYK, luck is just a small part of his plan to change the direction of the local music scene.

1. Tell us how you got signed with Sony Music?

I started off doing YouTube covers at 16. While I was studying for my Masters in Melbourne, Australia, I played small shows with a band. One of the biggest shows I’ve done is to open for Singaporean band The Sam Willows in 2015. Then I started doing original music in 2016.

FWB was a song that I first posted on YouTube last year. I guess that led to the Sony signing. Come to think about it, everything happened so fast. I did get a few offers from one or two independent labels.

I was more inclined towards Sony because they signed The Sam Willows in Singapore. Then, after a meeting with Sony, they sold me on the promise that I could work with a major music producer from Sweden.

In fact, they’re flying me to Sweden this month to record my album. So far so good.

2. Tell us the story behind FWB.

This song is about modern dating. These days, people are afraid of commitment. They don’t want to get into a serious relationship; most people are just like, “Let’s see how this goes.”

But in the end, someone always catches feelings and it all breaks apart when the other person doesn’t feel the same way.

I have personally experienced something like this. It’s very relatable I believe as I have friends in these situations as well.

I wrote the song in a short time. It’s just one of those songs where people can’t seem to get it out of their head.

3. Would you say you got really lucky because not many people can say they got signed by a major label based on just one song?

I think I’m definitely lucky. If anything, it’s all part of the plan that I have when I first wanted to get into music.

The core plan was to write original music, make sure they sound good. Then produce high quality tracks and market them well.

Essentially, signing with a record label will tick all of those boxes. I’m very glad that Sony found me. Working together with a label will give me access to more opportunities.

At the end of the day, the end goal is not just me. I want to push Malaysian music further towards an international level. I want to show that you can start from home ground.

4. What do you think is stopping our local talents in the independent music scene from growing?

I feel that the local independent music scene is just a circle of friends giving each other Facebook likes. You’re not going anywhere if you release music and only 20 of your friends are going to buy it.

A lot of them are too comfortable performing at the open mic scene and not aiming for bigger shows. Plus a lot of them are not producing original material.

5. What is your advice for the other local talents out there?

I want to be a success story. I want to show that it’s possible to make it. There is a tiny bit of luck but 80% is your effort. Just get up and do it. Work for the money to produce your original material. Never be comfortable.

Utilise all the online platforms available to you. Put your music out there where millions of people can find you. In this day and age, people don’t care where you come from or what you look like. People just want to hear good music.

The emergence of streaming platforms have changed everything. People used to think, “Why should I pay for local music when I can buy a Kanye West album.”

Now on Spotify, people can search for local bands like Paperplane Pursuit as easily as Kanye West. The playing field is kinda levelled for us now.

There should be no reason for you to not come out of your circle. We’re getting there and it’s your choice to be a part of the wave.

advertise
advertise
advertise

top navigation

advertise