Harvey Weinstein’s sexual harassment: Reactions from Meryl Streep, George Clooney, Kate Winslet

Kate Winslet

The fact that these women are starting to speak out about the gross misconduct of one of our most important and well regarded film producers, is incredibly brave and has been deeply shocking to hear.

The way Harvey Weinstein has treated these vulnerable, talented young women is NOT the way women should ever EVER deem to be acceptable or commonplace in ANY workplace.

I have no doubt that for these women this time has been, and continues to be extremely traumatic. I fully embrace and salute their profound courage, and I unequivocally support this level of very necessary exposure of someone who has behaved in reprehensible and disgusting ways.

His behaviour is without question disgraceful and appalling and very, very wrong. I had hoped that these kind of stories were just made up rumours, maybe we have all been naive. And it makes me so angry.

There must be ‘no tolerance’ of this degrading, vile treatment of women in ANY workplace anywhere in the world.

Jeff Bridges

Talk about facing your fear, he’s gotta face his demons now. I wish him the best of luck with that, he needs to lean in and really face those things.

Mark Ruffalo

To be clear, what Harvey Weinstein did was a disgusting abuse of power and horrible. I hope we are now seeing the beginning of the end of these abuses.

George Clooney

The part we’re hearing now about eight women being paid off, I didn’t hear anything about that and I don’t know anyone that did. That’s a whole other level and there’s no way you can reconcile that. There’s nothing to say except that it’s indefensible.

I’ve known Harvey for twenty years. We’ve had dinners, we’ve been on location together, we’ve had arguments. But I can tell you that I’ve never seen any of this behavior — ever.

Maybe that’s what good will come out of this: that not just in Hollywood, although Hollywood is now the focus, but in all of these cases the victims will feel that they will be listened to, and that they don’t need to be afraid.

Kate Winslet George Clooney

Kevin Smith

He financed the first 14 years of my career — and now I know while I was profiting, others were in terrible pain. It makes me feel ashamed.

Meryl Streep

The disgraceful news about Harvey Weinstein has appalled those of us whose work he championed, and those whose good and worthy causes he supported. The intrepid women who raised their voices to expose this abuse are our heroes.

One thing can be clarified. Not everybody knew.

Harvey supported the work fiercely, was exasperating but respectful with me in our working relationship, and with many others with whom he worked professionally. I didn’t know about these other offenses: I did not know about his financial settlements with actresses and colleagues; I did not know about his having meetings in his hotel room, his bathroom, or other inappropriate, coercive acts.

And If everybody knew, I don’t believe that all the investigative reporters in the entertainment and the hard news media would have neglected for decades to write about it.

The behavior is inexcusable, but the abuse of power familiar. Each brave voice that is raised, heard and credited by our watchdog media will ultimately change the game.

Jessica Chastain

While Meryl Streep says she had no idea about Harvey Weinstein’s abuse, Jessica Chastain tweeted that she was warned about him from the beginning of her career. Photo: AFP

Jessica Chastain

I was warned from the beginning. The stories were everywhere. To deny that is to create an environment for it to happen again.

Eric McCormack

I don’t think anyone is particularly surprised with that. It reminds us that the abuse of women is systematic. It’s a very real thing that women have had to endure in this business for a long time. It’s good that it’s out from under the rug. – Reuters

advertise
advertise
advertise

top navigation

advertise