Prog-metal icon Dream Theater talks about its upcoming KL show

In case you haven’t heard of them, Dream Theater (DT) are pioneers in progressive metal, a genre which marries the visceral attack of heavy metal with the intricacies of progressive rock.

There are all sorts of pretenders to the throne ranging from Queensryche, Opeth Tool and Symphony X, but few can challenge the longevity and influence of Dream Theater.

The current line-up of James LaBrie (vocals), John Petrucci (guitars), Jordan Rudess (keyboards), John Myung (bass) and Mike Mangini (drums) are bringing their extravagant show to Kuala Lumpur on Oct 2 and long time-fans are in for a real treat.

One of the reasons for the excitement is that the band is touring in celebration of the 25th anniversary of the breakthrough album Images And Words. As someone who strongly favours certain DT albums over others, the resurrection of what I felt is their best album is a real treat.

It really was the icing on the cake to hear that the encore will be the 23-minute A Change of Seasons, which I believe to the best suite the band every recorded (and released rather oddly with a collection of live cover material).

Thus I was in exuberant mood when I spoke to Rudess who was on tour in Jakarta at the time.

Interestingly Rudess was not in the band at the time, with the keyboards being handled by Kevin Moore.

I asked him why Dream Theater chose to make this an Images, Words & Beyond 25th Anniversary Tour, instead of pushing their latest album or a selection of their most popular tracks.

Images And Words was the first Dream Theater album I ever heard. It was really interesting to hear the band blend progressive rock with metal sounds and volume. We all loved the album so much and thought this was something different to do,” he replied.

Dream Theater

Dream Theater was formed in 1985. Photo: Filepic

Technical and eloborate

Soon after it came out, Moore left the band, and although Rudess was initially approached, he declined.

“When they first asked me, the band was not established and I was doing different things with my solo career. It wasn’t a good time for me to join. There was another band called Dixie Dregs that I played with instead.

“However a couple of years later, I got asked to join a side project with Mike Portnoy and John Petrucci who were then both in Dream Theater, along with Tony Levin on bass.

“That project Liquid Tension Experiment led to two albums and after it was completed they asked me to join again and this time I did.”

Dream Theater’s arrangements are pretty technical and elaborate. I asked Rudess if he changed much of Moore’s original lines.

“When I play Images And Words, I try and respect the arrangements, although I will take some liberties with the keyboards,” he said

Images And Words is arguably Dream Theater’s defining blend of progressive rock and metal, and while I feel there are the odd moments when compositions feel long-winded and meandering, I still find it to be the freshest of the DT albums.

Pull Me Under (the closest the band got to a radio hit), Learning To Live, Take The Time and Metropolis, Part 1 are all genre-defining epics and it will be a thrill to see them executed.

Band dynamic

I do feel that the band’s albums are hit and miss. For example Train Of Thought (2003) was one I didn’t enjoy while I thought it’s successor Octavarium (2005) was a real return to form.

Rudess said: “Well, honestly, I feel like each album is a baby. There’s a lot of sacrifice and thought and passion out into it.

“I suppose I do have a couple of favourite albums but we don’t have to answer to anyone and are free to pursue our desires and passions, so I don’t quite see it the way that critics might.”

The 60-year-old graduate of the famed Juilliard School of The Arts is still pursuing his solo career: “I like doing my own stuff, anything from orchestral arrangements to Explorations, an album that sounds like a concerto. My new album which is coming out around Christmas is going to be more electronic.”

I asked about the band dynamic. “Time passes quickly. It’s been a while since Mike Mancini replaced Mike Portnoy in 2010. He fits rights in,” Rudess said.

“This is a band where everyone is very dedicated to their craft. We all still practice religiously all the time with our metronomes. Mike is a funny man as well who brings a lot of character to the band.”

Rudess signed off by saying: “We have never been to Malaysia as a band. We always see fans online asking us to come here and perform.

“It’s exciting to be here. Images And Words is a real favourite and we have had great fun playing to wonderful crowds. We are looking forward to the show in Malaysia.”


Dream Theater will be performing at the KL Convention Centre on Oct 2 at 8:30pm. Tickets, priced from RM188, are available online at TicketCharge or by calling 03-922 28811.
advertise
advertise
advertise

top navigation

advertise