Japanese rock star Anna Tsuchiya to perform in Malaysia

Queen of J-rock Anna Tsuchiya is set to headline the very first Japan x Malaysia Friendship Concert 2017, which marks the special occasion of the 60th anniversary of business collaborations between the two countries.

“I am so happy about this concert as I have wanted to do this for a long time. I am looking forward to playing in Malaysia and exploring the beautiful country,” she expressed with excitement in a recent Skype interview from Japan.

Born in Tokyo of Japanese and Polish-American parentage, Tsuchiya’s exotic looks led her to embark on a showbiz career starting with modelling at age 14, before going on to making music and acting in films.

The 33-year-old rocker now has 15 films and some 30 music releases.

Joining the award-winning rocker at the concert are fellow Japanese acts dance rock band An Cafe, electro/rap duo Charisma.com, girl group Juice=Juice and Tomomi Itano (formerly from mega girl group AKB48).

Malaysian artistes set to perform include Bunkface, Fazz, Joe Flizzow, Jaclyn Victor and Alvin Chong.

1. What are your current projects?

I am planning for a concert tour titled Color. The title here refers to the varied characteristics of human personalities. I want to express this diversity through music, so my team and I are now in the process of discussing how we can do that during the concert.

2. How are you celebrating your 15th year in showbiz?

Seeing that it is my 15th year in this business – and we are celebrating it with a live tour – I am trying to approach all those who have worked with me in the past so that we can collaborate again.

As for myself, skills-wise, I hope to be a little bit more expressive. I am hoping this will improve my performance and my music.

The one thing that has not changed for me is that I have never lost the hunger or passion. But, of course it has been 15 years, so I have experienced many things that will obviously affect my style.

I used to be more hard-headed and only wanted to do rock (genre). But, I have softened my stance and realised that it doesn’t always have to be rock. Now, I don’t mind trying out other genres, as long as I can do it my way.

3. It will be your first visit to Malaysia. Any exciting plans here?

I really like oceans and beaches a lot. I have been doing some research, and I discovered that Malaysia has got so many beautiful beaches, nice architecture and delicious cuisine. Of course, I would like to experience all of them if I have the time.

I love diving as well, so it will be great if I can do that. I would like to request to do a TV show on diving destinations. I will bring along my bikini and shoot a music video (on the beaches of) Malaysia.

But more than that, the most important thing is, I am looking forward to getting to know Malaysia.

I want to know what kind of expression or behaviour people have there, because I am working on the Color theme. If possible, I would like to incorporate it into the live tour that I am planning.

4. What can your Malaysian fans expect at the concert?

Most people know me best from Nana (Japanese manga series), so I will be performing songs from the animation series, which mostly have a heavy J-rock influence.

Because it is a live performance, I hope the audience will be able to feel the energy. I want everyone to have fun.

5. Will you consider adding a Malaysian element to your performance, such as singing a local folk song like Rasa Sayang but doing it in your style?

Oh, I have heard that song before. Yes, I will definitely do that. And, I look forward to seeing everyone singing along.


The Japan x Malaysia Friendship Concert 2017 will be staged at Sunway Lagoon Surf Beach, Selangor on Sept 23 at 6pm. Tickets are priced at RM128, RM238, RM288, RM378 and RM428. Contact AirAsiaRedTix (http://ift.tt/2xrYTSX) or Toybox Projects Hotline (info@http://ift.tt/2gZyd1a 3108) for more info or to purchase tickets.

advertise
advertise
advertise

top navigation

advertise