Indonesian singer Marcell to celebrate 40th birthday in KL

Is Indonesian singer Marcell Siahaan planning to quit his singing career?

After Marcell announced Once In A Lifetime as the title of his upcoming Sept 23 concert in Kuala Lumpur, the Indonesian media started speculating that it might be the final outing for the singer.

“The media asked why I decided to call it Once In A Lifetime. (The media wondered) if it meant that I wasn’t going to sing anymore? Am I going to be a hermit after that?” he shared during an interview in KL.

He then clarified that the Once In A Lifetime concert is in fact, a celebration for his birthday as the Bandung-born singer will turn 40 on Sept 21, two days before the event.

“Life begins at 40 right? Most people say 40 is when you start to experience mid-life crisis but I see it as a point for a fresh start. I also want to use the concert to celebrate my 15 years as a singer.”

Marcell started as as a drummer in a rock band before making his debut as a singer in 2002 through the hit single Hanya Memuji, a duet with pop artiste Shanty.

He admitted back then, he struggled with his new persona.

“You won’t believe me when I say this but I’m a really shy person. I consider myself an introvert.

“Being a drummer was a dream because it allowed me to stay in the background,” he said. Once of his first major public performances was at an event in Malaysia back in 2003.

“I was a boy from Bandung. I used to take the bus or just skate to get to places. I never imagined that I would be able to sing for a huge crowd.”

His anxiety almost got the best of him but in the end, the positive response from the Malaysian crowd compelled him to push further. For Marcell, there is no more looking back: “I have a huge gratitude for Malaysia.”

Marcell made his debut as a singer through hit single Hanya Memuji.

Marcell made his debut as a singer through hit single Hanya Memuji.

He has since made a name for himself through songs like Firasat, Semusim and Jadi Milikku. As he approaches 40, Marcell is learning to adapt to changes in the music landscape.

“Now I have to take selfies or do a video log. I find all of that (updating social media platforms) very difficult. I’m very old school,” he lamented. “But it’s a transition I have to make. I’m also taking the steps to becoming music producer.”

Plans are also underway for Marcell to release his seventh studio album. Currently, his latest single is Jadi Milikku, a jazz-tinged duet with Indonesian actress-singer Raline Shah.

The new song reflects the direction of his upcoming album. “Well, jazz is not easy. It requires more contemplation. I just thought why not? You can say it’s a reflection of my age,” he said with a laugh.

Will Raline make an appearance at Once In A Lifetime? While the Indonesian songstress has hinted so on her Instagram recently, Marcell is keeping mum, as he wants to surprise the audience.

“I want to perform 40 songs in two and a half hours.”

One thing he won’t do is replicate his look in the Hanya Memuji video where he wore an animal print coat with blue fur. Back then, he even had an afro. “No, no, no… please. I’m too old for that!” he assured.

Tickets to Marcell – Once In A Lifetime on Sept 23 at Plenary Hall, KL Convention Centre are priced at RM99, RM149, RM249, RM349, RM549, RM1,499 and RM2,099. Go to www.marcellklcc.com for more information.
advertise
advertise
advertise

top navigation

advertise