Zizan Razak shapes up up for Polis Evo 2

When it comes to getting ready to shoot the sequel to the highest-grossing local film of all-time Polis Evo, Zizan Razak is committed to looking his best on screen.

Released in 2015, Polis Evo achieved a box-office collection of RM17.47mil.

“I think the production team just wants me to look fitter. I’ve been going to the gym a lot, to the point where I feel like the gym has become my home,” he joked during an interview in Kuala Lumpur.

Zizan said the initial plan was to start shooting Polis Evo 2 before Ramadan. However, production has been delayed due to location-related issues. As of now, there is no confirmed date on the shoot.

What is known about the sequel is it’s going to be directed by Joel Soh, who takes over from Ghaz Abu Bakar, and is said to be co-starring Erra Fazira.

“I love my new director. He’s a perfectionist. Previously, he sent us photos of the shooting location and it looked good. Then somehow, he decided to change. I understand. He just wants to do his best for the movie,” Zizan reasoned.

To ensure he is ever ready, the 33-year-old actor-comedian has been working out since early this year to achieve a new and improved physique for his character, Inspector Sani. Zizan, however, admitted that it’s not easy to maintain a fit figure.

“I keep wondering when we are going to finally start shooting. I’m trying to maintain my body but my weight keeps fluctuating. I’m not trying to look like Spider-Man, my goal is to be just like Captain America.”

Jokes aside, Zizan assured us that the first draft of the script is outstanding.

But, at the same time, he worries he may not be able to carry the role as well as he wants to. “All I know is that I have to try or else it would be such a waste to let this opportunity go.”

Zizan is thankful for the success of Polis Evo. He believes the action-comedy helped to elevate his status in the local film industry.

“I received a Best Actor nomination at the 28th Malaysia Film Festival for Polis Evo. I feel I was finally recognised for something I am good at.

“I have this perception that people tend to look down on comedians. They think we can’t go far. I’m trying to pave the way for comedians to be taken more seriously and to get recognition for our hard work.”

Nonetheless, he also accepts that the audience wants him to maintain a somewhat comedic personality even though he’s open to the idea of playing a serious role.

“I have to consider if anyone would pay money to watch me play a part like that. I don’t think so, right? That’s why I tend to go for roles with comedic elements.”

Despite the uncertainty of Polis Evo 2’s shooting schedule, Zizan has managed to keep busy. He’s just wrapped up filming the telemovie Jula Juli Bintang Putus Cinta with Mira Filzah.

Also, he is going to Mecca.

“This is my first break since last year so I thought why not go on a holiday and perform worship at the same time. I can’t get my parents to join me so I’ll be there alone. I will feel calmer there,” he said.

 

advertise
advertise
advertise

top navigation

advertise