Fahrin Ahmad is the first regular male host on Wanita Hari Ini

Fahrin Ahmad is going through a season of change.

The 38-year-old, who often hosts sports programmes, was named the first regular male host on women’s talk show Wanita Hari Ini early this month.

“Prior to this, there was a male guest host for the show’s financial segment. But this is the first time Wanita Hari Ini features a regular male host. It’s such an honour. I thank them for trusting me with this,” Fahrin said.

He was at a press event promoting the Bahasa Malaysia version of The Secret Life Of Pets, which airs on HBO this Sunday at 8pm.

On the personal front, the actor welcomed a baby boy late last year and will be celebrating his first Hari Raya as a father.

“When it comes to preparing for the festivities, it’s more about getting my baby and my wife’s clothes ready, because I realise my collection of Raya clothes is so wide, I have them in all colours. Whatever my wife is wearing, I can match it,” he said with a laugh.

Fahrin tied the knot with air stewardess Elena Hani in 2015.

Fahrin will be celebrating Hari Raya at Johor where both his family and his wife’s family reside.

1. The Bahasa Malaysia version of The Secret Life Of Pets marks your fourth time voice acting for HBO. What’s different this time?

The difference is the character I’m playing. Previously, for Transformers: Age Of Extinction and Jurassic World, my characters were humans.

But for The Secret Life Of Pets, I play an animal which means I have to exaggerate (my delivery) and I get to have a bit more fun with it.

People think voice acting is easy, but it’s like acting too. For example, when I’m recording in the studio, if the character is running, I’m running too. If it’s jumping, I’m jumping too. If it’s pulling a face, I pull a face too, so that it comes off convincing.

Fahrin has fun doing voiceovers for famous movies including Transformers: Age Of Extinction, and The Secret Life Of Pets. Photo: The Star/Faihan Ghani

2. Do you personally keep any pets?

Growing up, I had chickens and fish as pets which is why I thought the creators (of The Secret Life Of Pets) were really clever in telling the story of what the lives of pets are like when their owners are not at home.

I don’t keep any pets now. To take care of pets, you have to have passion and time.

Even if you have passion but you’re really busy and you have other interests, you end up neglecting them.

3. You recently became the first regular male host on Wanita Hari Ini. How did the opportunity come about?

I was called in to do a mock episode of Wanita Hari Ini one day. They gave me topics and tested me individually and paired me with a partner.

After that, they sent the tapes to the bosses and they were happy and offered me the job.

I know it sounds a bit weird – a male host on Wanita Hari Ini? But I took up the job because it’s very different from what I’ve done in the past.

I am nervous, but it doesn’t scare me. It’s a fun, unique experience. It’s a chance to inject a male point of view into the show.

4. How did you prepare yourself to host Wanita Hari Ini?

In terms of preparation, I have a lot of experience as a host in all kinds of genres. In fact, my very first hosting job was back in 2003 on a show called XY where we discussed gender topics.

Since Wanita Hari Ini touches on current issues, my research is always ongoing. And to get a more personal view of things, I speak to the women in my life, especially my wife.

5. What do you do to maintain a fit physique?

Last year, I ate a lot of protein, especially red meat. About six months ago, I started eating less red meat and consumed more fibre, fish and chicken.

When you’re ageing, this helps. When you’re 35 and above, you have to make these changes because your body is not like it used to be. I feel good.

I’m doing this because my right knee has been operated on five times, and once on my left knee as I love playing sports.

So now, I have to make sure my body weight is OK. Also, a lot of people say that after getting married, you will get bigger. I want to prove them wrong.

advertise
advertise
advertise

top navigation

advertise