Dayang Nurfaizah still believes in selling physical albums

Dayang Nurfaizah took the bold step to release physical copies of her latest self-titled album and it paid off.

The 36-year-old singer’s new offering was first released digitally on April 7 and was greeted warmly, dominating the local iTunes album chart.

About a week later, the album hit shelves and has since sold 2,000 copies, according to a report by mStar. The album is now going into production for a third time.

Despite the rise in music consumption via streaming platforms these days, Dayang still believes in selling physical albums.

“Yes, it’s true that the physical market is not as it was before but I still want to do it for my fans. I still believe there are people who collect physical albums and enjoy keeping them, looking at the inlay. Nothing beats looking at a physical copy and enjoying it in (its) totality,” she said in an interview.

dayang nurfaizah

Dayang Nurfaizah. Photo: Bernama

Dayang, best known for her 2001 hit Seandainya Masih Ada Cinta, enjoyed a career resurgence in the past few years after nabbing three back-to-back Best Vocal Performance trophies at the Anugerah Juara Lagu for Di Pintu Syurga, Tak Pernah Menyerah and Lelaki Teragung. Lelaki Teragung also picked up the highest award at the AJL, Best Song.

It’s no surprise then, that the new album is filled with ballads. Dayang Nurfaizah features works from renowned composers such as Ajai – who is responsible for Seandainya – and Aubrey Suwito.

When asked how she feels about being labelled a “balladeer”, Dayang replied: “I do love fast numbers and mid-tempo numbers but I know my forte is in singing ballads and fans expect and want that from me.

“I just want to give my fans what they want from me. However, in the future, you might see me singing fast numbers.”

advertise
advertise
advertise

top navigation

advertise