Actor Nazim Othman on life after brain surgery

Back in 2014, actor Nazim Othman was suffering from an excruciating headache. In an appearance on talk show Apa Kata Malaysia? hosted by Datuk Aznil Nawawi, he described what the pain was like.

“It felt like my head was going to break. I was scared. I couldn’t get up. Eventually, I had to call an ambulance in the middle of the night because I didn’t want to be a burden to anyone else,” he shared.

The pain was caused by a tumour growing in between his right eye and nose. During an interview in Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Nazim reflected on the moment he thought that he was going to die.

“I was diagnosed with a tumour inside my brain. It had to be removed with surgery. At that time, I was feeling down. I didn’t know what to expect from the surgery. I thought I was going to be physically impaired or die.”

The surgery was performed in 2015, and the 32-year-old actor and former flight attendant has since recovered from his real-life nightmare. Today, he feels like a new man taking on life with a different outlook. Oh, he also recently fulfilled a lifelong dream to become a singer.

1. How is Nazim Othman the man today different from the person he was before the surgery?

Looking at how I was before; I was someone who got stressed easily. I paid attention to a lot of minor details, and was more egotistical. I thought that I was someone who could do everything on my own. I was wrong. After I recovered, I started to learn to be more open and accept things as they come.

2. You recently released a new single Kerana Cinta. What can you tell us about it?

Raksasa Record approached me last year to with an offer to be a recording artiste. They even had a song ready for me. I listened to it, then I asked the songwriter Hael Husaini what it is about – is it about me and what I went through with the brain tumour? He told me to look at the lyrics, and said that the song is for me. I was really touched. I felt that the song was perfect.

I believe the song was also inspired by my wife (actress Bella Dally). When I was in the hospital, we were not married yet, but she was always there by my side. She has heard the song and she loves it.

3. I believe this is not your first attempt at becoming a singer. What happened to the previous singles?

My first attempt was back in 2009. I released a song called Cinta followed by Langit Menangis. Then I was working on a single called Destinasi, which has a dance music feel. I even shot a music video for it. I guess at that time the sound was trendy. People around me were trying to convince me that it would work.

Over time, I felt that the song didn’t fit me anymore, so I decided not to release it. I didn’t want to be associated with failure – I would rather start again. When I feel that something isn’t right, I just feel that it’s not worth presenting it to the public.

4. How do you feel now, with Kerana Cinta out?

It’s a dream come true, as I’ve always wanted to be a singer. I’ve heard some good feedback for the song. But I can’t be too comfortable. I consider being comfortable as an enemy to my career. If I choose to be content and satisfied for now, then I’m going to block my own path to success. I believe there is always something I can do to improve myself.

5. You performed the song live for the first time as well, at a recent Warner Music event. Did you feel nervous?

Yes, I was nervous. I won’t deny that. It’s a healthy feeling to have. I’m aware that I’m only human. My feet are still on the ground. You can’t be too confident, especially when you’re someone like me, who is just starting out.

advertise
advertise
advertise

top navigation

advertise