Here’s why Fazura is thankful for her haters

International Women’s Day is a global day to celebrate women’s achievements and it takes place on March 8 each year.

This year, Star Media Group is marking the whole month of March as “International Women’s Month”.

Star2.com will be paying tribute to women through our WOW-Women Do Wonders campaign and we want you to join us by sending in stories and pictures of the women in your lives.


If you search “Fazura dikecam” online, you’d find over 80,000 Google results about how the actress-singer has been criticised for everything – from a selfie with a dog to her singing abilities.

The 34-year-old Fazura admits there have been times when some of these unkind remarks got the better of her.

“I can’t say that I’m entirely positive. I’m only human,” she said during an interview in Kuala Lumpur.

In one infamous incident back in 2015, Fazura lashed out at a woman who left a comment with the word “KimK” on a photo of her and a friend posted on Instagram.

It was a misunderstanding on Fazura’s part as she had assumed the word meant something vulgar. But Fazura defended herself saying she was just standing up for a friend.

Last year, the gorgeous star performed at the F1 concert in Sepang. A recording of her live performance went viral and netizens commented with mostly unkind remarks about her vocal ability.

Fazura is seemingly aware of what most people have said about her on social media. “I’ve asked myself why people want to make the not-so pleasant stuff go viral.”

If you think Fazura is trying to gain some sympathy here, then you’re wrong. With a smile, the outspoken actress-singer expressed her gratitude to her haters.

“I’m not blaming anyone. I’ve come to a point where I feel that I should thank these people who have criticised me, have intentions to humiliate me or bring me down. Without them, I wouldn’t have the strength to push myself to be better,” she said.

Most recently, Fazura signed a three-year contract with Universal Music. The company will manage her showbiz career as well as facilitate the process to release her upcoming debut album.

She named composers like Ahmad Dhani (of Indonesian rock band Dewa 19 fame), Irfan Aulia Irsal (of Indonesian band Samsons), Numata (the team behind Anuar Zain’s Lelaki Ini) and Estranged’s Rich Gimbang as some of the names who will be contributing songs to her album.

Fazura

In J Revolusi, Fazura does her own stunts. Photo: Grand Brilliance

Fazura is not afraid to admit that previously, she struggled with her voice on her debut single Sayangi Dirimu, released in 2015.

“I’ve worked to find my key. In the past few months, I’ve practised on my own to perfect my voice. I’m learning every day. I am under pressure to do well and get better,” she offered.

With the partnership with Universal, does Fazura feel like she has proven her critics wrong?

Apparently, it’s the last thing on her mind. “I don’t need to prove anything to anyone, actually. I think that in life if you depend too much on people’s validation and approval, then you would just die. My purpose is to make one of my dreams come true.”

When it comes to acting, Fazura said she has also worked hard to step out of her comfort zone. She made her acting debut in Datuk Rosnani Jamil’s Bicara Hati (2004) playing a student. That performance earned her the Malaysia Film Festival (FFM) award for Best New Actress.

Since then, through playing the “hopeless romantic girly girl” in films like Gol & Gincu, Pisau Cukur and Manisnya Cinta Di Cappadocia – Fazura has become synonymous with Malaysian chick flicks.

That perception is changing as Fazura has taken on different roles such as playing a bewitching langsuir (vampire) in Kami Histeria and a heartbroken kampung girl in Langit Cinta. In the recent action movie J Revolusi – which has made RM5mil at the local box office – Fazura plays an undercover agent.

“I got to hold real guns and I did my own stunts. I felt like Angelina Jolie when in reality, I was too scared to climb ropes for the movie,” she recalled with a laugh.

Next up for Fazura? She hopes to play a mentally deranged woman: “People assume I just want to act pretty. I’m always ready to do things that I’ve never done before.” If there is one thing that Fazura is not ready for yet, it would be settling down.

“Previously, my goal was to get married at 24. Then, I changed it to 30. Then I thought, ‘Really? I’m just getting started in life!’.”

Through her reality show Facing Up To Fazura, it was revealed that she was once romantically linked to actor Shaheizy Sam (her co-star in Manisnya Cinta Di Cappadocia).

In January, a video surfaced on YouTube showing American deejay Randy Seidman calling Fazura his “girlfriend”. Fazura maintained that she and Seidman are just friends.

“I don’t have any room for love right now. I think it would be unfair to anyone I’m dating (as I’m busy with work). Because when you’re in a relationship, you’d have to make time for dinner or to hang out.

“I don’t have time for all that. I am tired (after work) and I just want to go home. I want to read books or watch shows on TV.”

For now, her heart is set on her career … and perhaps to go on a solo backpacking trip. Her biggest fear would be to look back and think of the things she had not done.

“Who knows, I may not be here tomorrow. I just don’t want to regret not trying at all.”

advertise
advertise
advertise

top navigation

advertise