We can’t take our eyes off Margot Robbie

Love her or loathe her as super villain Harley Quinn in David Ayer’s Suicide Squad, Australian actress Margot Robbie is proving her mettle as a talented actress.

From acting as the psychotic bat-wielding antagonist in Suicide Squad to the strong and assertive character of Jane in David Yates’ recent offering The Legend Of Tarzan, Robbie certainly has the knack of bringing out the best of each character she portrays.

The 26-year-old beauty started her career in Australian independent films in the late 2000s. In 2008, she moved on to TV drama series including soap opera Neighbours (2008–2011) followed by the short-lived American TV series Pan Am (2011–2012).

But it was her portrayal of a mistress in Martin Scorsese’s 2013 drama The Wolf Of Wall Street that propelled her meteoric rise in the entertainment circuit.

“Before Wolf Of Wall Street, I was grateful for any role, so I would say ‘yes’ to almost anything that fell on my lap. Thankfully, the movie opened many doors in my career pathway,” said Robbie during an interview with Star2 in Los Angeles.

After The Wolf Of Wall Street, the Queensland-born actress went on to star in the romantic crime-comedy Focus (2015), sci-fi film Z For Zachariah (2015) and romantic World War II drama film Suite Francaise (2015).

Thanks to her impressive portrayal of psychiatrist-turned-bad-gal Quinn, it’s no surprise she’s been garnering positive feedback from critics.

In a Huffington Post article, film critic Jackie K. Cooper describes Robbie’s portrayal Harley Quinn as the best thing about the movie.

He wrote: “This woman is beautiful, brutal, bat-wielding, adorable and bonkers. Robbie plays this member of the Squad to perfection. Even when the camera is not focused on her, the audience’s attention is focused on her.”

Now that she’s dabbled in various roles, the versatile actress is set to dive into the role of a mysterious woman in Vaughn Stein’s thriller Terminal. There’s word she will reprise her role as Harley Quinn in a standalone spin-off movie.

Margot Robbie's turn as Harley Quinn on Suicide Squad is lauded by fans and movie critics. Photo: Warner Bros

Margot Robbie’s turn as Harley Quinn on Suicide Squad is lauded by fans and movie critics. Photo: Warner Bros

1. You’ve acted in movies ranging from The Wolf Of Wall Street, Tarzan to Suicide Squad. How does it feel as an actress?

While Wolf Of Wall Street helped nudge me in the limelight, it was still difficult to convince producers that I could play something other than what I portrayed on the movie.

The good part is I now have the luxury to choose which role I want to act in. I try to choose the opposite of what I have done in other movies to showcase a broad spectrum of my work. It has helped build my confidence as an actress.

2. What drives you when it comes to acting?

The filmmaker and script are key. I look at the role and determine if it’s a story and character that I resonate with.

I also question myself if it’s a role that I’ve never done before and if I’d be challenging my acting skills.

I accepted to act in The Legend Of Tarzan because I had never done an action movie. It was also a new experience to work with computer-generated imagery. Those were the key factors to signing up for the role.

3. What are your hobbies?

I like to travel, catching up with friends, shoot hoops and scuba diving. I love anything to do with water.

4. Do you enjoy cooking?

Unfortunately I don’t like to cook. But I do enjoy eating out.

5. If you weren’t an actress, which profession would you have chosen?

When I was younger, I wanted to own a chain of hotels. When I got older, I envisioned myself as a magician or trapeze artist.

With her penchant for glamorous outfits, Margot Robbie is the new darling for designers. Photos: EPA European Premiere of Suicide Squad in London
advertise
advertise
advertise

top navigation

advertise