Raja Ilya’s best actress nomination gave her goosebumps

Actress-singer Raja Ilya was pleasantly surprised by her Malaysia Film Festival (FFM) nomination for Best New Actress. Ilya, 30, received the nomination for her performance as Azura in the romantic drama Suamiku Encik Perfect 10!

“I came here to support the film. When I heard my name being called out as one of the nominees for Best New Actress, I was stunned.

“Even now as I’m talking to you, I have goosebumps from the announcement,” she said at the FFM Top Five nomination event in Kuala Lumpur recently.

Suamiku Encik Perfect 10! was released in January 2015 and made over RM2.9mil at the local box office. Ilya remembered being a newcomer on the set when the film went in production back in 2013.

“That’s why I didn’t think about getting any nominations for myself because it was done so long ago. I’m very grateful for the nomination.”

Other nominees in the Best New Actress category are Marianne Tan (OlaBola), Falisha Crossley (Mat Moto: Kami Mat Moto Bukan Rempit), Nur Risteena Munim (Girlfriend Kontrak) and Zara Zya (Rembat). Ilya could be one of the frontrunners in this category as she has a winning record.

Raja Ilya receives a Best New Actress nomination for her role in Suamiku Encik Perfect 10.

In November 2015, Ilya’s performance in drama Lorong Kecil Ke Syurga helped her beat nominees like Normah Damanhuri and Ellie Suriati to nab the Anugerah Skrin award for Best Supporting Actress.

The former Malaysia Airlines stewardess was also selected to be one of the voice-over talents for the Bahasa Malaysia version of Rajinikanth action movie Kabali. Ilya recorded voices for two different characters.

Ilya shared that the Kabali experience got her an acting agent in India.

Ilya, who can speak Tamil and has starred in local productions like Anjali and Appalam, said she will be very selective about acting opportunities from India though.

“I will turn down roles that require me to dress provocatively or perform intimate scenes. I’d love to have an acting career in India but I won’t do anything that will jeopardise my future and reputation here.” – Angelin Yeoh

advertise
advertise
advertise

top navigation

advertise