Tom Hiddleston found out about Emmy nom after watching Ghostbusters

The acclaimed AMC miniseries The Night Manager, based on the novel by John LeCarre landed 12 Emmy nominations. That includes a first nod for star Tom Hiddleston, who is currently reprising the role of Loki in Thor: Ragnarok, filming in Australia. Variety spoke to Hiddleston about the news and his very fun last 24 hours prior to the announcement.

Congratulations on the Emmy nomination. How did you get the news?

It’s 3.30am in Australia. I was sort of dozing off; I’m here working on Thor: Ragnarok, which is enormous fun. Chris Hemsworth bought a round of tickets for Ghostbusters and a group of us went to see it. I’d just got home and my phone started exploding.

That sounds like pretty much the best day ever.

It’s been a great day. I got to play on set with Mark Ruffalo and Chris, went to see Ghostbusters, and then I got nominated for an Emmy.

You were nominated against your Thor co-star Idris Elba. Will you be seeing him on set tomorrow?

(Laughing) Idris isn’t here yet, but I will see him eventually and I’m sure we’ll be okay. Idris and I are old friends and we’ll have fun with it. He’s a fantastic, brilliant actor. It’s not just the honour of being nominated in the company of all these actors, it’s such an honour to be nominated among friends like Idris and Benedict Cumberbatch.

I don’t feel any rivalry, I just feel so proud of both of them. It’s an amazing thing to be in the company of all these actors.

The show racked up 12 nominations total, including ones for director Susanne Bier and co-stars Hugh Laurie and Olivia Colman. That has to feel great.

It’s such a fantastic affirmation of the team. It was a huge team effort, a great undertaking of 2015 for all of us, so to see all these names nominated, it just feels wonderful. It’s one of the most fulfilling experiences of my working life and my proudest achievement to date.

I loved making The Night Manager, I loved playing The Night Manager, and it’s a huge, humbling feeling to know people enjoyed it.

I have to ask: How was Ghostbusters?

I loved it! I laughed a lot. I was in the sweet spot of the target audience for the first film all those years ago, so seeing one of my best friends a part of it is so amazing. – Reuters/Jenelle Riley

advertise
advertise
advertise

top navigation

advertise