Is Liam the least-known Hemsworth brother in showbiz?

If you think Loki has it hard being Thor’s adoptive brother in the Marvel universe, just imagine what it’s like for Liam Hemsworth to be Chris’s blood brother in real life.

Liam’s oldest brother Luke is also a household name in Australia thanks to his role in the long-running Australian soap opera Neighbours – in which Chris and Liam have also starred before.

The comparisons between the three brothers are never ending but the youngest Hemsworth boy takes it all in stride. “I don’t feel any pressure to live up to my brothers or anything like that. We are all working actors,” says Liam during an interview to promote Independence Day: Resurgence in Sydney, Australia.

The 26-year-old actor plays fighter pilot Jake Morrison in Resurgence, one of the highly-anticipated movie sequels of the year. Liam was six when the first Independence Day movie debuted 20 years ago.

“One of my brothers had bought a copy of the movie on VHS, and I snuck into the room when they were watching it. The image of Will Smith punching an alien in the face, in the movie, stuck with me for a long time,” he remembers.

Liam recreated the punching scene in the sequel as an homage to Smith who doesn’t reprise his role as the fast-talking Captain Steven Hiller. “It wasn’t in the script originally, but I said that there has to be a moment when I have a physical altercation with an alien, and that’s why that scene is in there.”

liam hemsworth

Liam Hemsworth at a press conference for Independence Day: Resurgence in Tokyo, on June 29, 2016. Photo: EPA

1. How did you prepare for your role in Resurgence?

I didn’t get flight training or anything like that. Also, I didn’t need to bulk up so I was just generally being healthy and working out day to day. We were shooting in New Mexico, and there are many good hiking trails there. I lived right below a big mountain and did the seven-hour hike up when I could. I also went fully vegan before we started shooting and have been a vegan for about a year now.

2. Did you get any advice from your brothers?

When I first started acting, the biggest advice I got from both of them was to be prepared. They told me to put in the work before the audition or before I get to the movie set. They said, “Once you get there, you would have already done the work and you could relax.” Chris is someone who over-prepares for everything though.

3. So you move a lot between the US and Australia. What gives?

I have been living in the US for seven years now, and about three years ago, I got to a point where I started to lose contact with people I grew up with in Australia.

So, I put in more effort to come back to Australia and spend time here to keep the relationships alive. Australia is my home country and I love Australia. One day I probably will move back here. At the moment though, it makes more sense for me to live in America.

4. You started your career on television. Would you be making a return to it any time soon?

There is so much good TV that gets made today and the production quality is the same as movies. So, there is no reason not to do television.

I’ve been watching Mr Robot, and I just finished Bates Motel – Vera Farmiga is amazing in it. I watched a few episodes of Game Of Thrones but for whatever reason haven’t really gotten around to being glued to it.

So, yes, if something shows up that I really like, I would definitely consider doing television again.

5. You’ve admitted to being a private guy, so what is your take on social media?

For a long time I was very stand-offish to it because I don’t feel the need in any way to share too much about my personal life. But there is a benefit to social media also – you can instantly send a message to many people, and that is a wonderful tool to keep your fans involved. But I am still pretty limited with my social media interactions.

 

advertise
advertise
advertise

top navigation

advertise