Singers Akim and Stacy’s first Hari Raya as husband and wife

“I get to see her face when she wakes up,” singer Akim Ahmad says, glancing sweetly at his wife Ummu Syaikhah Stacy Anam, or Stacy.

The 25-year-old lead vocalist of rock band Akim & The Majistret, who tied the knot with fellow singer Stacy in February, is reflecting on the biggest difference in being married so far.

“It’s not that different. We’ve known each other deeply so there aren’t many surprises,” he adds.

Indeed, their love story started seven years ago prior to their nuptials. Akim and Stacy, who were both contestants on reality talent series Akademi Fantasia (seasons 7 and 6, respectively), met during the filming of a TV programme.

“We talked and talked, and after that day, we started calling each other on the phone,” Stacy recalls, adding she didn’t expect their puppy love to lead to marriage.

Along the way, the lovebirds admit they had their share of doubts about the relationship because of their difference in religious beliefs. Stacy was a Christian before embracing Islam in August 2015.

“That’s why we were together for seven years. We don’t want to just get married because of ‘I love you’,” the 26-year-old Kadazan singer shares, adding she wanted to take the time to learn and discover Islam for herself.

“Another reason is because of my family. I can’t just force them. When we first became friends, they were relaxed about it. After two years, they got a little worried. So, from then on up until the seventh year, it was about instilling that confidence in my parents that I’m not embracing Islam just because I want to marry him, that it’s not just for love,” she continues.

akim

Akim and Stacy were both contestants of reality talent series Akademi Fantasia, but took part in different seasons.

Since their wedding, the couple has been working together quite often, appearing in advertisements for brands like Kit Kat and Digi.

“Stacy is on her own track and I am on my own track in the industry. When we are united, it becomes easier. What I lack in my work, Stacy will help me; what she lacks in her work, I will help her,” Akim says of their relationship as both spouses and colleagues.

Speaking of working together, the two have recorded a song, slated for release later this year on Stacy’s upcoming album. “It’s a love story between two people admitting to each other that their partner is the best person for them,” Akim says of the track penned by Edry Abdul Halim.

“The lyrics are very close to our real lives. When I sang it, I felt like I appreciate my wife more,” he adds.

Akim and Stacy, who can be seen spending their holiday together in Dubai in Astro’s Romantika Raya, will be celebrating Hari Raya for the first time as a married couple this year.

“We will be spending a week with Akim’s family in Johor. Then we’ll come back to Kuala Lumpur where both our families (from Johor and Sabah) will celebrate together,” says Stacy who adds she is grateful for Akim’s support in helping her fast for the first time this Ramadan.

Akim chimes in: “There’s no argument about where to go back for Hari Raya. She’ll visit my family during Raya and for other festivals, I will celebrate with her family in Sabah.”

 

advertise
advertise
advertise

top navigation

advertise