This actress wants you to check her Heartbeat

Australian actress Melissa George witnessed a real-life heart surgery in preparation for her role in the medical TV show Heartbeat.

The 10-episode series takes viewers inside the life of heart surgeon Dr Alex Panttiere, played by George, who has to balance her demanding medical career (she recently received a promotion) with raising two kids, and a happening love life.

“It’s a character-driven drama, but with comedy. It’s a tone that I haven’t seen. You feel something, but then you’re laughing,” the 39-year-old actress describes Heartbeat in an interview with TV Insider.

To understand her role in Heartbeat better, George paid a visit to an operating theatre. “I scrubbed in, and I stood next to the surgeon. When he pulled out the saw, I said, ‘You’re going to cut him open?’ And he just looked at me blank, like, how else am I going to get to the heart?” she recalls the experience. “He said, ‘Don’t worry, there’s somebody next to you in case you pass out.’ And there was, there was a special ‘faint person’ there to lay me down. But the fascination took over the queasiness.”

Heartbeat airs every Thursday at 10pm on Star World (Astro Ch 711).

advertise
advertise
advertise

top navigation

advertise