Terry Lin takes his One Take World Tour to Malaysia

It has been too long since Taiwanese singer Terry Lin Chih Hsuan last performed in Malaysia. Known for having one of the most beautiful voices in Taiwan, the 49-year-old from Keelung was last here to promote his album in 2002.

However, his Malaysian fans have been keeping up by watching his outstanding performances on Wo Shi Ge Shou, the very popular Chinese version of a Korean reality show titled I Am A Singer. Lin emerged as the first runner-up in the first season of the Chinese reality show in 2013. This was also the show that gave Malaysian singer Shila Amzah her big break when she became second runner up in the second season of the show.

In a recent phone interview from Taipei, Lin hoped to spring a few surprises during his upcoming Terry Lin One Take World Tour Live In Genting.

“Apart from songs from my One Take album (2010), I will be singing in one take, within the space of two hours, all the songs that I sang during the nine weeks of the I Am A Singer competition. That is one of the reasons why we call it the One Take show,” he said, while hinting at surprises in terms of musical arrangements.

This means that Mandopop lovers can expect fan favourites like the Mandarin version of Eason Chan’s Exaggerated, Jay Chou’s Fade Away, Chyi Chin’s Night After Night After Night After Night, Air Supply’s Making Love Out Of Nothing At All, Tsai Chin’s The Spirit Of Your Eyes, and Never Left (the Chinese version of Celine Dion’s I Surrender).

Although he enjoyed his stint on the reality show, Lin says he is not likely to take part in other long-running series any time soon as he prefers to focus on preparations for his concert tour, which has already played in Shanghai and Beijing. “I may consider commercial shows that are interesting, but I hope to commit my full effort to the concert tour,” said the singer, who was also part of popular Mandopop duo Ukelele in the 90s.

Unlike other artistes who have to slim down for their shows, Lin has to embark on a weight gain programme.

“This time, I’m working out and specifically targetting my weight problem. My exercise plan includes jogging and spending lots of time on the treadmill to boost my stamina so I can perform at my best throughout the show.

“The result has been extremely encouraging. I have actually put on 1kg already. I still need to work on it though. I’ve been told to put on more weight so I’ll look better in costumes.”

On the subject of guest performers, Lin says he prefers to lend his support to newcomers with potential to shine, so he has invited Malaysian singer Jess Lee (winner of the seventh season of Taiwan’s One Million Star reality show) for the concert in Genting. “I will be singing a duet with her. She will also have a solo segment,” he said, adding that since Malaysia is a multiracial country, he is also considering inviting artistes who sing in other languages.

Organised by Resort World Genting, The Terry Lin One Take World Tour Live In Genting will be held at the Arena Of Stars, Resorts World Genting on May 14 at 8.30pm. Tickets are priced between RM168 and RM948. For reservations, call Resorts World Genting (03-2718 1118).

advertise
advertise
advertise

top navigation

advertise