Rani Kulup makes acting debut and plans to #kipidap

It was reported in February this year that Rani Kulup is taking a break from making police reports. Yes, the man notorious for filing police reports about protests and negative social media postings has decided to take time out. (He proudly claimed that he has written up to 1,000 reports since 2011.)

Rani who is the president of Martabat Jalinan Muhibbah Malaysia (MJMM) wants to focus on other gigs such as business and acting.

As it turns out, Rani was not kidding about acting. The 60-year-old former military man makes his movie debut in Kipidapp: Selamatkan Hari Jadi, a comedy by MIG Productions.

At the movie premiere in Kuala Lumpur recently, Rani – who was sporting his trademark red beret, military outfit and sunglasses – shared that making the film was a dream come true.

“I’ve always had an interest in acting,” he said. “When producer David Teo offered me the role, I didn’t hesitate at all. I told him I can do anything. I’m not scared! If he wants me to dive into water or perform any other stunts, I have no problem (doing them).”

Kartina Aziz and Rani Kulup star in the movie. Photos: MIG

Kartina Aziz and Rani Kulup star in the movie. Photos: MIG

In the movie, Rani plays Tok Daddy, a character who is not that different from Rani, where his job and outfits are concerned.

Tok Daddy is someone who spews trademark catchphrases such as “kipidap” and “dongibap” (supposedly meant to be “keep it up” and “don’t give up”). Every morning, he says goodbye to his wife (Nanny Rockie played by Kartina Aziz) before going to the Dang Wangi police station to file reports. Tok Daddy’s military background influences what he names his horses. Oh, and he never removes his sunglasses – not even when he’s watching TV with his grandchildren at home.

(If you’re curious about why the character – and Rani – doesn’t take off his sunglasses, it’s explained in the movie.)

Kipidapp: Selamatkan Hari Jadi also stars Atikah Suhaime as a lawyer who seeks out her grandparents (Tok Daddy and Nanny) after a nasty breakup.

According to Rani, the movie’s theme resonates with the cause of his non-governmental organisation MJMM.

“The movie highlights the importance of family values and community life which is what we’ve been fighting for. We want Malaysia and its people to thrive in a peaceful environment.”

Producer Teo praised Rani’s dedication and discipline as an actor. Teo said: “He’s always on time. If the call time is 8am, Rani will be there at 7am. I have to say his dedication is better than some of the younger actors I’ve worked with. He also worked closely with Kartina and the director Eyra Rahman for guidance.”

Rani hopes the movie will change people’s perception about him.

“I feel like everyone just knows me as Raja Report Police Malaysia (country’s ‘police report king’). With this movie, they can see that I’m more than that. I can be entertaining too. I also hope to start directing my own thing one day. Maybe do a documentary.”

He revealed that he has received two other acting offers, including a production with Datuk Yusof Haslam.

Would Rani start feeling glamorous now that he has the potential to be a movie star?

Dah lama glamour dah (I’ve always been glamorous). The newspapers have been writing stories about me and I’ve been featured on TV. With this movie, I’ll just be more famous,” he answered with a laugh.

Kipidapp: Selamatkan Hari Jadi is currently showing at cinemas nationwide.

 

advertise
advertise
advertise

top navigation

advertise