Fattening up Karen Mok

Hong Kong singer Karen Mok’s husband may have applied to be a private chef on her ongoing tour, but he is unlikely to get hired.

Her finance executive husband, Johannes Natterer, will not make the cut because he is inclined to whip up fattening meals for her.

In an interview with Singapore media ahead of her show in the island republic on April 9, Mok, 45, says: “He’s really good at pasta. He thinks I’m too skinny and I should put on more weight. He will add fattening ingredients such as cream into his dishes on purpose.

“I don’t think it’s a good idea to have him as my chef on the tour. I will get fat.”

Her German-born husband, also 45, will instead be helping out with logistics when the concert tour makes it to Europe.

The Regardez World Tour started in Taipei, Taiwan last year and Mok will be holding a show in Singapore after 15 years.

Her attention to detail is also seen in her doubling as concert director, spanning all areas, from costume design to lighting.

“I’ve been a concert director ever since I started doing concerts. I’ve always designed my own shows and created them from nothing,” she says.

“It’s really satisfying how ideas born from my imagination become reality.”

She was inspired to recreate the spectacular Northern Lights astronomical phenomenon at her show with 1,000 laser beams after seeing it in Iceland with her husband two years ago.

Recounting the trip with glee, she says: “We went to Iceland. We were there for three nights and one night had perfect conditions and we saw the Northern Lights. It’s really magical, especially if you are there with someone you love.

“It’s something that a lot of people have on their bucket list, but not everyone gets that sort of chance.

“I know of a lot of friends who travel all the way there but, because of bad weather, they didn’t manage to see the Northern Lights. So I thought, ‘What if I can bring the lights to my show?’ ” – The Straits Times, Singapore/Asia News Network/Gwendolyn Ng

advertise
advertise
advertise

top navigation

advertise