Indonesian singer Afgan pens duet with Sheila Majid

Indonesian singer Afgan hopes to show listeners the different facets of himself in his upcoming album.

Afgansyah Reza or simply, Afgan, whose tender vocals have serenaded fans since releasing his debut album Confession No. 1 back in 2008, is currently working on his fourth release, scheduled to drop this April.

“I’m really excited. It’s an album I’ve been dreaming of. I’m writing my own songs. I’m collaborating with musicians from Indonesia and abroad,” says Afgan during a press event promoting Konsert 5 Divo.

Perhaps being more involved in the songwriting process is making the release one of Afgan’s more personal albums.

“There are many different sides to myself and I want to show that. There are times when I’m vulnerable and times when I’m happy,” the 26-year-old crooner shares.

Asked if the album will include a duet with Sheila Majid, Afgan reveals he has been working with her, but explains, “that’s not for my album. She is interested to do a duet with me, but it’s for another special project.

“I’ve written a song for her, it’s a ballad. She has heard it and she likes it. She says it matches her,” he shares, adding the song is about a couple who has been together for a long time.

Afgan, who is a fan of Sheila and even released his cover of her signature ballad Ku Mohon as a single in 2014, also admits he was nervous about letting the Malaysian jazz queen listen to the song at first.

It may take a while before fans can hear the track as it has yet to go into recording.

In the meantime, catch Afgan, along with fellow Indonesian singer Judika, Singaporean Idol winner Taufik Batisah and local artistes Hafiz and Hazama, when they perform together at Stadium Malawati, Shah Alam, on Feb 13.

Konsert 5 Divo, organised by LOL Entertainment, will see the singers give solo and duet performances of their own songs and each other’s songs. There will be also be two numbers where all five singers will share the stage.

“I’m glad for the opportunity to be able to collaborate with musicians outside of Indonesia. I’ve worked on a song with Taufik before, but we never sang a duet together. I’m also excited to collaborate with Hazama, Hafiz and Judika,” Afgan says.

He adds that he and Taufik will be delivering Michael Jackson’s Love Never Felt So Good as they’re both fans of the late King of Pop.

Konsert 5 Divo, which features a 50-piece orchestra led by Datuk Ramli MS, marks Afgan’s third concert in Malaysia.

“Malaysian fans are more enthusiastic,” he says comparing audiences in Malaysia and Indonesia.

“Maybe it’s because I’m not from Malaysia and they don’t see me often. So everytime I perform here, the response is overwhelming. In Indonesia, they’re more toned down and chill. That’s why I love to sing here,” he shares.

Tickets, priced from RM128 to RM1,188, are available at www.ticketpro.com.my

advertise
advertise
advertise

top navigation

advertise